Re: Shifting notchy when warm(was no subject)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shifting notchy when warm(was no subject)
From: "Dan Neff" <neffster@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:41:25 PST
 Wow, I'm a little behind on my digests!! But this one raised a
question:

Thu, 11 Mar 1999 Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com> wrote:
>I'll bet it's due to worn synchro rings. When the trans is cold and
>the gear lube is more viscous the synchro clutches work better
>(thick lube more friction).  When the trans warms up the lube thins
>out and the synchros don't work as well.

Well, my symptoms are opposite, so I assume I have a different
problem(?): my syncro's are a BEAR to work when cold. Downshifting
into 2nd or 1st when cold is an absolute no-no! Once the
engine/tranny are warmed up, it shifts smooth as glass (well, I
won't even try downshifting with high-rpm's without SOME throttle).
So is that a bug or a feature? :)

>Transmission Background:
>Hard to describe without a trans to illustrate, but here's how
>synchros work.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand it as well as I can
without seeing it!

dan.
Dan Neff    '69 2000
neffster@hotmail.com