Fixed noisey speedo cable!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixed noisey speedo cable!
From: "J Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:12:18 -0800
I had been suffering from speedo noise, and severe speedo needle bounce.
Finally did something about it...  After hunting around my garage shelves, I
found a plastic 'tube' of outboard motor 'lower unit gear oil'.  The nozzle
on the tube is what made it perfect.  After unscrewing the cable from the
speedo, I let the securing nut slide a ways down the cable.  This left the
squar-ish tip protruding from the end of the cable.  The inner diameter of
the gear lube tube was a bit larger than this square tip, but the tapered
outer diameter was perfect for a press fit inside the hollow metal casing
end of the cable.  With newpapers down on the floor, I squeezed oil - not a
drop leaked at this point - into the cable.  When I removed the gear lube
tube a minute later, about a half oz. of oil drained back out of the cable
end.  Wiped things clean, reattached the cable, and now NOT A BIT OF CABLE
NOISE OR CABLE BOUNCE!!!

Don't know how long this will last, but I suspect a good bit of this very
thick (90 wt?) oil remains in the cable.  I've no doubt that if you
disconnected the other end of the cable from trans, that using this method
you could squeeze oil all the way through out the trans end - in fact, I
might just try this for the heck of it...

Hope this helps someone...

-John F.
'69 2L Solex in Nevada