Re: adhesive

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, lyonc@idt.net
Subject: Re: adhesive
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 99 10:50:56 CST
Chris,

For the thick rubber, I still prefer the original 3M
weather strip glue. THe yellow stuff that is nick named
"gorilla snot" by far the most affective.

There is also a black weather strip adhesive, which
works OK (not as good as the yellow stuff), but looks
better is you are a little messy in installing the
rubber.

With the car of adhesive remover (3M product), wipe
down the rubber so it is nice and clean. Usually there
is a little white powerder left from the mold release.
Clean the rubber good. Ditto on the door jamb.

Line up the rubber, check for fit.

Now apply about a 1 foot section of a light coat of
the adhesive on the metal. Ditto on the rubber. Let
both coats tack dry, then press together. I recommend
only starting with a foot at a time... once you press
the parts together, then will stick.

Usually I'll use good masking tape to help hold the rubber
in place (long strips across the body work, keeping pressure
on the rubber. You guessed it, Only masking tape I will use
around the car is the expense 3M stuff... comes off nicely
even if left on for a few days, unlike the cheap stuff.

No, I do not own 3M stock... just like their (expensive
but excellent) products. ;-)

Chers,

Tom