Transmission seal replacement

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission seal replacement
From: "Christopher Coker" <ccoker@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:57:49 -0500
Howdy all,

Well, after the third evening of working on the transmission real seal,
I've successfully mangled it, but I'm not closer too actually removing it.
I'll repost my questions again.  Surely someone has tackled this feat.

I've convinced myself that it can be done with the trans still in the car,
access isn't really a problem.  The splined output shaft sticks out enough
to prevent me from really getting any serious leverage on the seal.  I've
tried a couple of times to removed the collar off of the back of the trans
that the seal fits inside, but it looks like it would be an even tougher nut
to crack.

For those of you who have tackled this in the past, did you remove the seal
directly from the collar, or did you remove the collar first from the back
of the trans to make the seal removal easier?  Any tips or techniques you
might have to make this job successful would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chris Coker
'69 1600 SPL311-24529
Royal Oak, MI