fiberglas

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: fiberglas
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:05:13 -0800
Fiberglass is a fickle beast.
        I've fitted a few fiberglass parts, and it's always been a challenge to
get 'em to fit right.  Kind of like fitting a 'pattern' steel part,
except that you can't really do bodywork on fiberglass panels like you
can to steel to get 'em to fit.
        If you can't GET a fender, then it's obviously a great solution.  If
you have a really MANGLED part that's irreplacable, it's also great.
However, if you have a bit of rust or a few dents, it's usually less
hassle and cost, and looks better, to fix your steel.  'Course, if you
want a shaker hood for your roadster, or great big flared fenders,
fiberglass is your medium!  Just save your original steel- you may need
it when the fiberglass cracks, or be able to sell it to us steel freaks!
        It's also not much lighter than steel, unless you have really thin,
woven-fabric (not chopped) parts made.  'Course, it doesn't rust,
either.
        I think it's great to have the molds available, 'cause one of these
days, there won't be any spare sheetmetal floating around.  I do
caution, tho, that putting on the fiberglass won't be as easy as bolting
up an original Nissan fender that came off the same pressing run as your
existing fender.
My ramblings,
Toby