Re: digital photos

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: digital photos
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:39:27 -0600
A couple of things to remember. As Barrie mentioned, there are
(literally) huge qualitative and quantitative differences between
acceptable images on our computer screens and for video, and acceptable
quality for a similarly sized image in a quality magazine such as ZCCD.
Computer and video images normally run in the neighborhood of 72 dpi (72
x 72 = 5184) while the ZCCD image is at least 2400 dpi (2400 x 2400 =
5,760,000). Color information adds more complexity (and increases file
size). Take one of those beautiful Telly Sahara acrylics for example.
These appear to be either 72 or 144 dpi, and look fine on screen in their
original sizes. Enlarge one to use as a screen background, which
duplicates image pixels, and the pictures get blocky or jagged. These
files are about 75k in size for 2 1/2 by 1 3/4. If they were saved at a
size to fit the screen and at 2400dpi, the file size would approach 370
meg/image (if my quick math is correct)! Might take a while to D/L. <G>

Although I haven't stayed up to date with the newer 35mm and medium
format film cameras and have paid only passing attention to the growing
number of digital still cameras, I do get the strong impression that
you'll currently pay close to $1k for a digital camera that has similar
features to a "pocket" 35mm in the $300 to $350 range. I have seen some
Nikons, Leicas and large format cameras built (adapted?) for digital
imaging. They're usually in the $10K/12K plus range. That's why I expect
to continue using my three trusty Nikons with a whole bag of lens for a
long time to come. You get a far superior image by scanning a print
(using a suitable resolution for your final output).

With the price of scanners as cheap as they are, unless you are going to
glossy print media, you can produce a very nice image with a $150 scanner
and a $300 (or less) 35mm camera.

Now that I've spent the time writing this, it may have warmed up enough
outside for me to get the new suspension and brakes on the '73.
School/first autocross three weeks from yesterday.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)