Re: Interesting Mail

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interesting Mail
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:07:01 -0800
At 09:41 PM 2/18/99 EST, Roadster6@aol.com wrote:
>OK, I'll do this again, what's a Skyline?
>
>Mr. Someday I'll Learn Not To Ask These Questions
>A.K.A. "Is There An Uglier Car Out There A 510"

Boy, you're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you? I can't give you
chapter and verse on the Skyline, but here are bits and pieces:

Originally built by Prince Motor Corp, which was acquired by Nissan. They
were a relatively upscale car for the time in Japan.
(http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/skyline.html)

The ones that attracted the following were the later performance ones,
particularly the Skyline GT-R. My favorite is the 1992. Even at 3318 lbs,
it did 0-62mph in 5.6, standing 1/4 mile in 13.8 and had a top speed of
over 155.

Japan has some funny rules about horsepower, so the 2.6 liter twin-cam
inline-6 twin-ceramic-turbo was officially rated at 260hp, but tuners have
pulled over 600hp with tweaks. Oh, by the way, it's 4-wheel-drive, too,
with limited-slip and computer-controlled front/rear torque split. I just
scanned a picture of it -
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/Skyline_GT-R.jpg.

When they raced it in the Australian Touring Car championship, it was
nicknamed "Godzilla."

Hey, I just found a promo site for the new Skyline. Check it out at
http://www.skylinegtr.com/html/history_fr.html.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org