Re: SPEEDO GEARS

To: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: SPEEDO GEARS
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:20:00 PST8PDT
John Schmitt asks:
> I have converted to 195/60 14 tires on my Minilites and my speedo is off,
> as you would expect..

Ross Mullen (sports imports, http://home.istar.ca/~datsun) posted
the following article about speedo gears. This info was from two
and a half years ago, so some of the gears may no longer be available.
Contact Ross for more info, I'm just reposting!

-- John

- - - -  Begin Included Message

Ross Mullen writes:
The 4 speed and 5 speed transmissions in roadsters  drive the speedo cable
by the same method.  A plastic toothed gear which is color coded and
comes in variations 16-23 teeth.  Each tooth variation gives roughly a 10%
change in speedo readings.  This gear is located at the transmission end
of the speedo cable and can be changed with transmission in car.  It is
best to drain the oil before removing the gear which is held in place by a
10 mm bolt and small tab.  before removing, estimate the inaccuracy by
having someone pace you and measure what your gauge reads when they are
doing 50 mph. If yours reads 55 then you are out 10%( 50 x 2=100 5X 2=10%)

Most 5 speeds come with 18 tooth gear normally yellow.  Dropping or adding
a tooth will compensate to make your a speedometer a little closer to
accurate.

 5 speed transmission FS5C71A
                gear numbers
32703-78100     16
32703-78101     17
32703-78102     18
32703-78104     19

32707-78000     sleeve for 16-19
32707-66300     sleeve for 20-23 teeth

32703-78104     20
32703-86401     21
32703-86402     22
32703-86403     23

4 speed transmission F4C63L
32703-22000     16
32703-22001     17
32703-21100     18
32703-78600     19

32707-14600     sleeve for 16-19 tooth
32707-14810     sleeve for 20-23 tooth

32703-14816     20
32703-25031     21
32703-16715     22
32703-19910     23

Increasing the tooth count  on the pinion will decrease the MPH count.
In other words, a 10% off 55 MPH reading with an 18 tooth pinion gear can
correctly read 50 MPH by installing a 19 tooth pinion gear.

Ross Mullen
sports imports