help with diagnosis (fuel problem?)

To: datsun roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: help with diagnosis (fuel problem?)
From: Eric Armstrong <ericarm@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:29:49 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone -

Having problems with the car ('66 1600).  Car idles fine, but when under
power after driving anywhere from 1 block to about 1/4 mile, I lose power,
the car coughs and stumbles like it's running on only a couple cylinders
or may be running out of gas.  If I pull over and idle for a minute, I
have power again for about the same 1 block to 1/4 mile.  If I sit parked
and just run the engine at high rpm, there is no loss of power or
sputtering.  Fuel filter bowl looks like clean gas is flowing.

This started half way through drive this afternoon through the east bay
hills.

Anybody got a suggestion on how to effectively diagnose this?

I'm thinking, check:

fuel filter or other line blockage
fuel pump
carbs
electronic ignition (Pertronix)

Noticed some oil coming out of the air cleaner housing.  If oil gets in
there from the valve cover vent tube it might foul your carburators,
maybe?  Might that be the problem?  If so, what to do with that
tube/connection?

Any advice is most appreciated...

-Eric

Eric Armstrong