Water passage (was Re: Brake Drums)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Water passage (was Re: Brake Drums)
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 99 09:49:44 CST
Gordon,

>I saw an L-series race motor where they had drilled into the water jacket
>of the head near the exhaust ports and were running water in there directly
>from the water pump. I didn't get a chance to ask them if it did any good,
>but it's something to think about and maybe experiment with.

Gordon,

On the FIA cylinder heads, the water passage is external to the
cylinder head. Long tube, with runners going directly into the
head.

There is a lot of engineering on fluid dynamics, and cooling of
cylinder heads, etc.  It would make for an interesting University
Project to determine the model for the cooling, and dynamics
involved.

There is some black conductive paper (forget the name of it), that
you could cut, punch holes in, etc. Apply an electric current across
it (which is heat in our case), and measure voltages across the paper
to determine "hot spots".  I was working with packaged electronics,
that used a small external radiator for cooling. Oddly enough, my
"black paper" did a good job of explaining the hot spots in the package.

Hmm, wonder if I could use conductive foam to model a cylinder head
and the hot spots.

Cheers,

Tom