Re: hose/tubing replacement

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: hose/tubing replacement
From: Mike/Chris Clothier <mclothier@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:04:14 -0800

Gordon Glasgow wrote:

> At 01:47 PM 2/6/99 -0800, Mike/Chris Clothier wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >Iv'e been considering replacing the hoses and tubing under the hood with
> >the braided flex type products. Do I hear any yea's, nea's, thats the
> >stupidist idea Iv'e ever heard, or Boy! is that going to look great from
> >the group? Next, can it be done or is the cost going to be just too
> >rediculous to consider? Like I said, it's just an idea.
>
> It's beautiful, but it sure isn't cheap! To give yourself some sticker
> shock, go to Pegasus Racing's Web site and order their catalog
> (http://www.execpc.com/~pegasus/).
>
> The usefulness of braided line varies depending on the application. For
> brake lines, it is good because it doesn't expand under pressure, so your
> brake pedal feels more firm. It also resists abrasion. I hate wearing holes
> in brake lines, it's such a bother when you try to stop!
>
> For fuel lines, it is practical for a race car because it will resist
> damage in a crash, so you don't have raw fuel spilling all over your hot
> engine and header.
>
> Water lines don't really need braided line at all. They aren't under
> pressure, and spilling some water is not a fire hazard.
>
> Besides, the larger the line, the more it costs. Brake lines are the
> smallest, then fuel lines, then heater hoses, and radiator hoses are the
> biggest. For example, what they call a "dash 12" or "-12" hose is .69"
> inside diameter, which is as close to 5/8" heater hose as you can get. That
> stuff is $6.29 per foot from Pegasus. But it is the hose ends that will
> kill you. A straight hose end in -12 is "only" $12.29; a 90-degree hose end
> is $23.49! Plus a -12 line has a minimum bend radius of 4.5". Ponder that
> next time you're under the hood.
>
> They look great, no argument there. But real braided lines are a major
> investment.
> Gordon Glasgow
> Renton, WA
> http://www.gordon-glasgow.org

Gordon,
thanks for the comments, Pegasus is where I first got the idea and yes I know
it would be expensive. My question though, is can most of the attachment points
on the 1600 engine be adapted to take those kind of fittings or am I just
wasting my time? I think I saw some fittings that the tubbing just slipped on
existing attachment points and there are other "cosmetic" kits at parts stores,
but these don't look as good. I guess I'm trying to decide if the expense, over
and above the cost of the fittings and tubbing, would be worth it>
Mike Clothier