Re: Europa motor into Elan?

To: <chapman-era@autox.team.net>, "Mark J Bradakis" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Europa motor into Elan?
From: "Betty and Michael Braun" <elan66@pathway.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:41:58 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
To: chapman-era@autox.team.net <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 1999 3:15 AM
Subject: Europa motor into Elan?

>I'm into Triumphs, so my Lotus expertise is a tad thin.  What I've got is
this
>twincam motor from an unknown year of Europa.  Actually what I've got are
all
>the parts, I think, to turn into a running motor.  My question is what
would be
>needed to put this engine into an Elan, circa 1970?  Are Europa and Elan
twin
>cam blocks similar enough it is a no brainer?  Are there such differences
that
>a major redesign of all components would be required?
>
>Actually, I did have an Elan +2S in my driveway for six months or so, but
that's
>another story.
>
>mjb.

The blocks are the same,no problem there.  The differences between Elan and
Europa are in the head and front cover, both of which can be overcome. The
Europa and Elan have slightly different water necks on the front cover, just
swap covers around. Might be a good time to put in a cassette water pump
setup, and eliminate a TC troublespot. As for the head, Europas' alternator
is driven by the intake cam, you will see that the head has a larger cutout
at the rear of the intake cam. Cam cover too. You will need to get a larger
plug setup for this hole. Either make your own with Devcon and a mold, or,
DBE sold them at one time. I am using a Europa head on my Elan with no
problems. If I've missed something, somebody else jump in.

                                                    Mike B