Europa motor into Elan?

To: chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Europa motor into Elan?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:01:21 -0700 (MST)
I'm into Triumphs, so my Lotus expertise is a tad thin.  What I've got is this
twincam motor from an unknown year of Europa.  Actually what I've got are all
the parts, I think, to turn into a running motor.  My question is what would be
needed to put this engine into an Elan, circa 1970?  Are Europa and Elan twin
cam blocks similar enough it is a no brainer?  Are there such differences that
a major redesign of all components would be required?

Actually, I did have an Elan +2S in my driveway for six months or so, but that's
another story.

mjb.