Roll Cage for Elan

To: <jeff@cocking.com>
Subject: Roll Cage for Elan
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:19:47 -0000
Hello Jeff,

I airmailed a copy of TTR's catalog to you.  You should be getting this
shortly.

I bought a lightweight roll and side-intrusion bar system from TTR about 2
years ago.  This was actually made by Safety Devices, the UK
company.specializing in these systems.  The roll bar bolts into the
body-to-rear-turret mountings and the floor-to-frame mountings behind the
seats.  The side intrusion bars go into the door sills (one has to cut a
hole in the rear wheel well) and clamp onto the roll bar and to a tube
beneath the foot pedals.  The hood (top) still fits.

There were some postings on the Lotus List before on roll cages for the
Elan.  One lister (I cannot recall who) built a very strong cage with bars
running through the doors (permanently shut).  The seats I think bolted onto
a reinforced panel attached to the cage.  Undoubtedly, this is the safest
system.  But it will be heavy and detract from the utility of a road car.

I also had a simple 3-point roll bar made in lightweight stainless steel,
with one leg slanting into the rear passenger compartment at a diagonal.  I
think this looks best, but of course it is the least safe.  It will not be
sufficient for most race sanctioning bodies.  The TTR system is probably
best for your intended use, and might qualify under the club race rules you
intend to race under.  I could sell mine to you cheaply, if we can figure
out how to get it there economically.

The vulnerability of the Elan's backbone frame presents an interesting
engineering design problem, and I hope someone will develop the ultimate
(Chapmanesque) solution: lightweight, elegant, effective, and consistent
with Lotus philosophy.  It might be you, Jeff!

In the meantime, I hope this helps.

Andres
Lotus 23 and 45
Manila