Re: Torque wrenches

To: dbilling@spry.com
Subject: Re: Torque wrenches
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:35:55 -0700
If you buy used, you'll need to get it calibrated. That will add
to the cost.

I have two, both Craftsman. One is the old "beam style" wrench, one
is the semi-modern "click" wrench. I bought the beam style when
I was poor and needed one. I bought the click style when I got out
of school, and thought I'd never use the beam one again.

Then I started building engines and got a lot smarter. The only
time you know the click wrench is accurate is the day you get
it back from calibration. No such worries with the beam style;
it can't go out of calibration. So heads and bearing caps go on
with the beam for final tightening (the first several waves
usually get done with click).

I don't have a low range wrench. For things like suspension
fasteners that are spec'd to 15, I cheat and under-adjust the
click guy. Some day I'll buy a low-range that does
small numbers of inch-lbs, for things like turbo rebuilds
(my latest project).

Oh yeah. I also have a really cheap Harbor Freight or JC Witless
click wrench in my track box. It is used primarily for one
thing and one thing only: checking the lug nuts before
every session. It's best quality is that it fits in the damn box!