Re: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan

To: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 01:38:16 -0800
Dick Carlson wrote:
>>The head of the Mazda design facility in L.A., Tom Matano, and one of
>>the principals behind the Miata (a Chapman-era car), has a Vallelunga
>>which he drives regularly, and takes it to the Miata corral at the
>>Monterey Historics.

I wonder if Tom Matano has Email?  :-)

Rod Bean replied:
>Ah, good karma.

Yep.  I love it.

>Thanks for renewing my long-held but lately shaken opinion that
>great minds think alike.  I had a chance years ago to buy a fairly nice
>Vallelunga for $4500!

Yeeeoowww...   Well I sold my 41 (admittedly rough, and FF configured) for
$2500.  A pittance.  Second worst mistake I ever made.

>My wife (a delighted Miata owner for 8 years now) drove the new Miata last
>night.  I haven't seen her this excited about a car since she bought hers
>home.

Tell us some more Rod.  How does the new model compare?  I heard that it is
lighter...  good show, Mazda!

>This talk about the Kia M100 stealing Miata customers is funny.  Any customers
>it steals bought the wrong car in the first place and will deserve their new
>acquisition (but why wouldn't they have gone for the Mercury Capri originally.
>hmmm).  Somehow, I doubt that the Kia will have much impact.

Nevertheless with an ominous inevitability similar to the creeping spread of
Microsoft products, fwd cars seem to be taking over the world.  Unfortunately
I suppose we are resigned to fate here, too.  ;-)

Anyway, glad to hear you successfully sold the Wimberly Europa, Rod.

Regards,
Erik  "it's OK I suppose, as long as rwd cars are still available"  Berg