[British-cars] Voltage Stabilizer for TR3

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [British-cars] Voltage Stabilizer for TR3
From: Richard Kleihorst <richard@kleihorst.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 01:24:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

later cars in the 70ies used this. I remember using a 7805 (the electronic
part you see in the picture) in my Ford. It stabilises to 5V (negative
ground).
Main reason was that the board supply (battery) can change from 12..14V based
on the revs of the alternator/dynamo, and this showed in things like
temperature reading etc.
With the rise of the alternator (with a stabilzed 14.0V output) they might
have been outphased. before that, in the old days, drivers probably didn't
care they can use the temp gauge as an (very) averaging rev counter.

Depends also on your gauge, is it jumping or swaying? Does switching the
headlights on have an effect? I once had unreliable gauges because the ground
connection between
engine and chassis was bad.Ligths on --> gauges down.

Richard
British-cars@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47