RE: What are we owned by?

To: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What are we owned by?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:51:37 -0800
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Charley:

I am not aware of any complete engine number listings for the MGB, so I
would not be too quick to agree with your sources.

An 18V motor would be correct for the 1972 MGB, and the 659M number
although not documented anywhere I can find is in the right ball park.
585Z MGB 1971-2, 672Z MGB 1972-4 according to the book "BMC and Leyland
B-Series Engine Data" by Lindsay Porter.  Unless someone comes up with a
definitive listing for the 659M engine number, I'd work under the
assumption that it was either original to the 1972 car, or a suitable
exchange engine installed early on.

The only 18V engines that I've seen on this side of the pond that will
not directly interchange into the MGB are those with the smaller pilot
bush hole as fitted to the (Federal) Austin Marina.  Believe it or not,
I have seen one of these fitted to a 1978 MGB by some lunatic that used
a 3 main non-synchro transmission with the smaller pilot shaft.

Since your engine was installed in a 1972 MGB, I don't think you will be
facing any problems of this type.

Treat the unit like any other MGB engine of unknown vintage.  It
probably has a single row timing set, which can be swapped for a double
row.  The rods should have straight cut big ends and the small ends may
be the later press fit type, or have bushings.  Check this out before
ordering pistons.  Pistons are probably low compression, my suggestion
nowadays is to go with the 8.8:1 higher compression ones which are
readily available and more suited to the higher octane fuel now readily
available.

Check the intake valve diameter, it increased during 1973-4.

Hope this helps

Kelvin Dodd