Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire
From: Rick Reineman <rick@reineman.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:12:49 -0700
Just picked up a 1978 Spitfire that the previous owner had put headers
on.  That moved the catalytic converter farther down the pipe just under
the transmission cover (it's a California car).  The factory solution
was to put the Cat right under the exhaust manifold.

I had to have the thing smog checked.  Since the new laws in this
(f'ing) state require a dynamo test the car was running in place at
around 35mph for some time.  The catalytic converter got so hot it
ignited the carpet that's over the transmission cover.

I can get new carpet and the smog guys will help pay, that's not the
problem.  My question for the list is if there is some sort of
commercial solution available?  Or are there lessons learned out there
(besides don't live in Calif.) that will save me from learning them the
hard way myself.  The flaming Spitfire was a lesson I could have lived
without.

I had intended to take it to a local muffler shop and talk to them about
heat shields, better muffler etc.  Thought I'd give the newsgroup a shot
first though.  Thanks in advance for replies.

Rick