RE: parts

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: parts
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:33:08 -0800
> Just trying to avoid confusion with the description, but I guess
> it didn't
> work.  Dzus calls it "Oval Head", but please do not think this
> has anything
> to do with what we otherwise call oval head, which is actually a crowned
> head with a chamfer underneath like a flat head (also commonly known as
> "grommet head" when used with grommet washers for attaching
> interior trim).

Ok, my apologies.  They are what Dzus calls an oval head.  TR3s have several
other Dzus fasteners, which have what I would call a dome head, with a
square drive hole in the center, apparently no longer offered as a standard
product.  The catalog I downloaded doesn't show an A type head, but the
fastener I have appears very close to an AJ head.  There is even a tiny
vestige of the .150" undercut, which I had forgotten about.

> My term "short neck" refers to the length of reduced diameter undercut
> below the head.  Dzus calls it "short undercut".  This is related to the
> panel thickness which can be accomodated by the capture washer.

It would appear that these were a special, they are self-ejecting and the
main undercut runs about 0.8" to within about 0.1" of the end.  (I pulled
one from the parts bin to measure, and it does have the markings on the
head.)  The current catalog doesn't even show option SE being available on a
size 65 stud, but the other SE options do not show the undercut running
below the slot.

Other differences include the size, 6-1/2 is now known as size 65; and the
length.  On my button, there is clearly a decimal point between the 7 and 5.
Curiously enough, these appear to be -70 length, so I'm not sure what
the -7.5 designation means.

Cheers
Randall
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (drove it to work yesterday, bad transmission
and all)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver