RE: parts

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: parts
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:45:14 -0800
Barney Gaylord wrote :

> The "A" type is actually the most common type of Dzus fastener, dome head
> short neck, and the part number is still availabke new from Dzus,
> generally
> through a Dzus distributor (probably requiring a minimum order).  The
> standard material is high carbon steel with bright cadmium plate
> with clear
> chromate dip (spec numbers are in catalog).  Optional finishes are bright
> zinc with clear chromate dip, and bright zink with dull black chromate
> dip.  Also availabe in 300 series stainless steel.  Chrome plating would
> appearantly be special order.

Not sure what happened here, but the Dzus fasteners that Fred is talking
about are not dome head but a slotted thin pan head, have a neck about 1"
long, and are chrome plated.

> Not being familiar with the TR3, I'm a bit curious why there are Dzus
> fasteners on the windscreen parts.

On the TR2/3/3A to about 1960, the entire windscreen assembly is held to the
car with 4 Dzus buttons.  Two people can have it off the car in under 10
seconds.  The idea being, I suppose, that one could drive to the racetrack
with the windscreen on, then take it off to race.  Earlier cars even had
captive nuts for racing screens, which could be fitted at the same time as
the main windscreen and left in place when it was removed.  However I
believe the captive nuts were deleted earlier, something like 57-58.

At the body retooling in 1960, the Dzus buttons were changed to chromed
bolts, which took longer to remove.  Cost cutting measure, I imagine.

Randall