Re: measuring piston rise

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: measuring piston rise
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:23:12 -0700
Larry,

I tried it once on a supercharged AH Sprite. With the damper cap
removed, I put a flag on the piston. With the hood removed you could
watch the flag position while driving. It is best to have an observer
along, hard to watch the road & the flag at the same time. Finally gave
it up & installed a Holley carb. I would think that doing it on a dyno
would be ideal. Wish that I had had a dyno when I was trying to set up
the original carb.

Your idea of measuring vacuum in the piston dome sounds possible.
Otherwise it is really a guessing game to know what part of the needle
you are operating on.

I don't know what the vacuum is in the dome, pretty low I would guess,
maybe zero to six inches.

Dave Russell