Re: Insurance company observations?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance company observations?
From: smanwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:29:54 -0400
I would be very wary of J.C.Taylor.  I used them for about 15 years, but
I gave up on them a couple years ago.  The best I can say about them is
that they take months to deal with any change (added car on the policy,
changing the coverage on an existing car, billing, etc.). I once
discovered that one of my project cars had no coverage for six months
because they messed up the transition from my old New York account to my
Massachusetts account.

The last straw was when they refused to consider covering my 1957 Morgan
4/4 after I honestly explained that it had had an engine transplant from
the original 1200 cc to 1500 cc.  Apparently *any* change in the car
that increases horsepower violates their antique/classic policy rules.
They did not care that the +4 model available the same year had the
identical chassis, yet had a 2000cc engine, nor that practically all
early 4/4s now have either 1500 or 1600 power.  Their strategy may be to
sell you modified car coverage at double the antique rate, but at the
time the modified rate wasn't available in Massachusetts.

I believe there must be many sports cars insured with J C Taylor that
might not be covered in the event of a loss if JCT finds that the car's
engine was modified in any way and the owner represented the car as
being unmodified.

I currently have my cars insured with Grundy Worldwide and I find them
to be well organized and prompt with any transactions.  They also have
no problem with modifications as long as they can see from the photos
that it is not a hot rod.

--Steve Manwell