Re: lost history

To: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: lost history
From: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:56:00 -0800
Hi Frans,
A little more research revealed the following
The form is available at www.dmv.ca.gov.  Click on "Request for Records
and Consumer Complaints" and then click on Message Forwarding Service". The
web site says that they have 24 million entries in the database.  The cost
is $5.00 (non refundable) although they will tell you if the person received
the message or not. I've scanned the form in for you to look at (2 pages).
I think there is another form that can be submitted that will tell you
everybody that has owned a particular vehicle in the State of California if
you have the registration number or license plate number but I couldn't find
it on the web site.  If you are interested I can go to the local DMV office
and inquire about that form. If you need additional assistance please let me
know. (I have a 1966 Marcos 1800 and several people in the UK have been very
helpful to me when I had problems so I feel somewhat obligated to return the
favor when I have the chance.)
Best regards,
Mike Denman

Page 1

A Public Service Agency

To the Requester:

MESSAGE FORWARDING SERVICE

(SEE REVERSE FOR INFORMATION TO THE RECIPIENT)

Under the California Vehicle Code Section 1808.21, residence addresses on
the Department of Motor Vehicles' (DMV) records are confidential and shall
not be released to the general public. However, in the interest of public
service, DMV offers this message forwarding service to assist you in
locating someone. DMV reserves the right to review the content of the
message and will not forward it if the message appears to be threatening,
indecent, derogatory, or not in the best interest of the public. Recipient's
response is voluntary. If your message is not forwarded, it will be returned
to you for the reason indicated below.

INSTRUCTION FOR SENDER OF MESSAGE: (Type or print legibly)

YOURNAME

TELEPHONE NUMBER

YOURADDRESS

CITY

STATE

ZIP CODE

CA

Please complete at least one of the following lines regarding the person you
wish to contact.

1. Full name

             OR

2. Full name

OR

3. Vehicle License Plate or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) OR

4. Vessel CF or Vessel Hull (HIN)

and birthdate or approximate age

and driver license or ID card number

A $5 non-refundable service fee, payable by check or money order made to
DMV, must be included with your request. (DO NOT SEND CASH) You will be
notified if your message is returned unclaimed, however, we will attempt to
re-mail your message if the postal service provides a forwarding address. If
your message is not returned, you may assume it has been forwarded.

Write your message on the reverse side and mail request to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

Information Services Branch

Message Forwarding Service -MS G 199

P.O. Box 944247

Sacramento, CA 94244-2470

The department is unable to identify the subject of your request.

Message was returned unclaimed by the Post Office and no forwarding address
was provided.

Your request is being returned as it appears to contrary to public interest.

Department's record indicates this individual may be deceased. Please
contact State of California, Health Services Department, Vital Statistics at
(916) 445-2684 for more information.

Other:

INF 1211B (REV. 4/99) WWW

Page 2

SMTEOFCALFOMA

DEPARMWMWOTORWANEW

A Public Service Agency                                 MESSAGE FORWARDING
SERVICE

                                                  (SEE REVERSE FOR
INFORMATION TO THE REQUESTER)

Dear Recipient:

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is prohibited by law from providing
residence address information from its records. In the interest of public
service, DMV offers a message forwarding service to assist the public in
locating someone. The party identified on the reverse side has asked that
the message below be delivered to you. There is no legal requirement that
you comply with the message or that you contact the person that has prepared
it. DMV has not and will not release your address

to the person who submitted the message.

MESSAGE (To be completed by the sender):