Limited slop differentials

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Limited slop differentials
From: "Neil Sherry" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:29:57 -0000
My Sprite has a locker in it - and that is a bit abrupt in its action. I
have no experience of the torque biasing diffs (Quaife, Torsen) but  I
understand that they are the most user friendly of limited slip set-ups. I
shouls also think that they are perfectly refined and durable, since they
have been used fairly recently on production cars (The Rover 220  Coupe
Turbo had a Torsen). If I had the money to spare, I would have a quaife or
torsen in my car.

As for the adjustment issue, somebosy posted that their's needed the preload
adjusting and another poster doubted this was necessary. I have found an
article which says:

"We have two means of adjusting torque biasing differentials. The first is
by the helix angle and pressure angle of the gears; the second is by varying
the number of beveled washers exerting outward pressure between the end
gears. However, most racers who use them have no extra gears, so the only
practical adjustment is the preload or the end gears. "

(From http://web2.iadfw.net/oldwolf/how_differentials_work.htm )

Neil