Re: Amber Brake Lights

To: kmr@pil.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amber Brake Lights
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:31:10 EDT
I wrote:

> > ...couple amber variants of the normally all-red Lucas L549 lens, such
> > as used on TR2-3, MGA, Morris Minor, Morgan, some Jaguar XKs,
> > Bugeye Sprite and many other cars....

Kai replied:

> Andy, sure you don't mean L594?  I actually have an interesting amber L594
> lens, it isn't round!  It is distorted to the point of being ovaled... quite
> cool, and I can't think of how it happened.  .

Kai, sounds interesting, and I also can't imagine how a glass lens would've
ended up that way, either. But I did mean L549, which is the plastic taillamp
lens. I have pictures of both red and amber versions at:

<http://members.aol.com/herald1200/l549ra1.jpg> and
<http://members.aol.com/herald1200/l549ra2.jpg>

The red one has a red "prism" reflector within. I've also got -- somewhere --
an amber version with that same red prism inside, but the amber lens in these
photos has a white prism.

There were, of course, red, amber and white (clear) versions of the L594
glass "beehive" lens for various applications.

--Andy Mace