Re: Amber Brake Lights

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amber Brake Lights
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:21:44 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/2001 6:00:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com writes:

> So, here is the LBC question, anyone know of any British or other European
> cars that also had amber brake lights?  Or is this solely a Porsche oddity?

I don't know if this really answers your question or not. There were a couple
amber variants of the normally all-red Lucas L549 lens, such as used on
TR2-3, MGA, Morris Minor, Morgan, some Jaguar XKs, Bugeye Sprite and many
other cars. I have seen a few of these on cars over the years and have also
collected a couple of pairs.

The closest I've ever heard to a plausible explanation for an application is
that TR2s and early TR3s in some markets would've had these lenses for
taillamp/flasher applications (those cars had a single, center-mounted brake
light that also illuminated the number plate). But I have seen these amber
variants on XKs and a couple other cars over the years.

--Andy Mace