Re: classic car insurance - LONG

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: classic car insurance - LONG
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:56:12 -0800
    This insurance thing comes up quite often, has anyone just thought of
making friends with their insurance agent ?

    I don't have "classic" insurance on my cars, I just have regular
everyday insurance, I can drive them as often as I want for whatever reason
I want.    I can't afford it all the time though, when I spoke with my
agent about it, he told me to just call him when I want to insure the
cars.  For the last 8 years, when I want to drive one of them I just call
and say "insure x car please" and he does, when I am done I tell him to
"remove the insurance on x car please".  He even told me I could leave a
message on his phone answering machine if I wanted to and that would be
good enough (although I have never tested that one and  I always speak to
someone before driving, just in case they loose the voice message on the
one day I get in a wreck).    His only request was that if I think I will
drive the car again during the week is to leave the car insured the whole
week, he said  he would not like to turn on/off the coverage more than once
a week.  Depending on the weather I usually leave the car insured for a
month or so and then swap to a different car but I have been known to only
insure it for a day(the billing is always fun).  I have also been known to
call on my cell phone while driving down the driveway.  For a year and half
when I worked a 4-day schedule, the car was automatically only insured on
Fri-Sat-Sun and I called a few times for weekly coverage.  If it is a
weekend or middle of the night, I call the 800 number.

   No rules, only a little hassle.  It sounds like a big hassle but it
really is not since I rarely just get in and go. my cars regularly sit
unused for weeks at a time.  I wish life would give me the luxury of
driving my LBCs all the time but work keeps getting in the way.

        mike  (Allstate Ins. if that matters)

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/