TR6 Frame Rust

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Frame Rust
From: "Jack Gagnon" <bullitt@cybertours.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:18:31 -0400
Hello,

I was looking at a 73 TR6 that I am considering to buy today and have a few
questions for the list.

The car is in solid condition, no rust in the floorboards or anywhere else
on the body that I could see.  Interior is pretty good.  Carpet is worn and
faded, no rips in the seats or boot.  One rip in the side window that is
patched with tape.  The finish in the wood dash is cracked in a few places.

The car has been painted at least 13 years ago and looks okay but does have
a few scratches that have been touched up and some peeling behind the front
bumper where the prep work was not the best.  Chrome is good.

The car was from No. Carolina and then purchased by the current owner about
13 years ago.  They haven't driven it much at all in the last 7 years.

The engine starts and runs fine, the gearbox shifts fine and the rear end is
quiet.

I did notice some rust on the drivers side frame along the member the
trailing arm mounts to.  The rust at first glance doesn't look bad but I was
able to poke my finger through a spot which doesn't seem to good to me.  I
have read that this can be a major expense to fix right (frame off?).  The
rest of the frame appears to be very good with no rust visible.  The owner
was asking $7900 which I think is probably too high in light of the rusty
frame member.

What is involved to correct the rust and how much will it cost to fix?

How much should I pay for this car?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

bullitt@cybertours.com