RE: It's a leaner...

To: "'thom kuby'" <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: It's a leaner...
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:17:50 -0400
Thom wrote->
Greetings,

Yes...again.  I'm getting much closer to resolving this "shimmying & sloppy
steering" bugaboo.   Unfortunately, we're not there yet.

Since the last time I queried this great list, I've tightened up the
steering box (via the adjustment screw on top of the steering box.  I have
NOT yet played around with the shim setup...) and the steering has improved
immensely...nowhere near the amount of slop I had before.

        BW->        Careful Here!!!  Maybe the shimmed bearing are OK, maybe
they are not.
                        IF you have play in the bearings, and adjust the peg
so the steering feels OK,
                        you may provoke bearing failure because only a few
balls are now supporting
                        the side load from the peg.  The play will seem to
be 'gone' ( for now)
                        until the overstressed bearings fail and/or make a
mess of the bearing surfaces                    on the Worm gear.

Anyway, Now, I'm thinking the wheel and tire setup might be at fault.

        BW->        Definitely check the runout at the rim's edge  anything
less than about 1/8" is                         probably OK.  Then check the
runout at the tire's surface- look for tread
distortion, sidewall bulges, cuts, etc.  Cheep-o tires are notorious for
                        this type of shakey problems.  Michelin's are
usually the 'Round-est' tires
                        and sometimes require no wieghts at all.

3. or, are these cars THAT squirrely to begin with? (I would  find that
hard to believe...)
                BW->      Compared to the typical Porsche,  Well, errr,  I'd
prefer to call
                           them 'Lively Drivers'!

                Good Luck-
                        Bob Westerdale