RE: Shimmying & Leaning TR4

To: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Shimmying & Leaning TR4
From: Paul Garside <Paul.Garside@seagatesoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:25:44 -0700
Hi Thom,

I don't know much about TRs, but this should apply pretty much to any car:

IMHO shimmy on non-MacPherson front susp cars is usually due to wheels and
tyres out of balance. So I'd have those balanced again.

If it still shimmies, your hub/disc could be out of balance. Check for wheel
bearing and damaged disc (rotor).

I think most other things, like bad shocks, worn suspension bushes and
steering would merely fail to damp a shimmy which is already occurring in
the rotating components. Unless the suspension bushes are so bad and the
toe-in so far out that the wheel is flopping in and out.

Your lean: if it's leaning on the passenger side, it must be quite bad, as
it's normal for old cars to lean on the driver's side, which is where most
weight is, obviously. So if the car is, say, down an inch on the pass side
in relation to the driver's side, then it could be down two inches in
absolute terms. This could be a broken spring at the front or a broken leaf
at the back, assuming the chassis is solid. Or maybe just the wrong
spring(s) fitted to one side or the other. Or to cure the driver's side
lean, a previous owner has fitted a new spring to the driver's side, which
is less saggy than the old one on the pass side. Check for broken springs,
if OK but it still bothers you, buy new springs in matched pairs.

Hope this helps a bit,

Paul