STILL no Start!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: STILL no Start!
From: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 22:30:56 -0800
Let's just say that right about now I am ready to throw a large hammer
through the windshield...Scenario...1967 MkII, 1500 engine, Stromberg
Carb(single150cdse), brand new starter, brand new coil, new points,
condensor, plugs, wires, carb rebuilt...150 pounds of compression on all
four cylinders. I have set it to fire at no1 TDC by opening up the valve
cover, and looking at the no1 cylinder valves to see that they are all the
way open, and by looking in the plug hole to see the piston come up into
compression stroke. I checked the firing order by pulling all plugs and
turning the engine by hand...nice good spark, in the right order. I've
tried turning the distributor by hand while its turning over to see if I
could get it to catch...nothing. I've used starting fluid, spraying it both
into the carb, and a couple times by taking the carb off and spraying it
directly in the manifold...nothing...

        I would assume that by using the starting fluid I should have
gotten *something*, a chug, stutter, cough? I am to the point that I
honestly don't know what to do next. I feel like an idiot...What do I check
next? I checked the float level, set it to about 16mm, like the book says,
but disregarding the carb, should I have gotten something by using the
starting spray if the ignition was even close? I checked the
valves...Help!!!...and thank you.

"Damned little things, and they're new!
Cut just like regular chickens?
Cut just like regular chickens."