Re: Starting out with a Midget

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting out with a Midget
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 13:40:13 -0800
Ray advised:
>Removing the engine/trans as a package has advantages.  The big
>disadvantage is that it may not be easy to get the back of the trans to
>mate up with the front of the driveshaft in these cars when you put the
>whole thing back.  It is especially tough if you have a new seal on the
>rear of the tranny.  Supposedly, you can unfasten the drive shaft at the
>differential, attach it to the transmission while the engine is out of the
>car, and feed the whole thing in through the tunnel.  When I was using the
>rope hoist, I could not get it all to go in, perhaps because it was hard
>to change the angles.  The second time, the rear seal was worn a bit, and
>it was not as hard to get the drive shaft to mate with the rear of the
>trans.

I had excellent luck with leaving the driveshaft laying in the tunnel,
disconnected from the diff.  When I had the motor mostly into place but
still forward of installed, I stopped, reached through the shift lever hole
and inserted the shaft into the gearbox.  From there it was easy, the whole
thing just slipped back into place.  I was reusing an old seal, so I didn't
have any troubles there.

Oh yeah, I vote to do the engine/gearbox together too.  I can remove and
reinstall the whole unit in a single weekend, and I've "only" done it 3
times.  You don't have to hassle with the motor/gearbox bolts, and you can
do a good visual inspection.  sf

Stan Fickes                    British Cars
Wireless Communications        1951 MGTD (under construction) NEMGTR 10492
Advanced Technology Group      1965 Austin-Healey Sprite (daily driver)
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653