Value of this '74 B?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Value of this '74 B?
From: felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU (Felix Wong)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 00:56:47 -0800 (PST)
Hi folks.   I'm thinking of selling my '74 MGB project car.
She is in a rather poor state.  Unfortunately, so am I--financially,
that is--which is why I'm even considering letting her go.

Anyway, I'm quite unsure about what would be a reasonable
selling price, except that in all likelihood it is not very much.
Here's a description of the car...

        -a '74 w/ chrome bumpers that are in good shape
        -totally rust-free body that's reasonably damage-free except
         for the right-hand rear fender (which actually is 25% bondo)
                -wears somewhat faded and very unprofessional red paint
                 over original olive drab
        -engine runs, has good compression, but expels *vasts* amounts
         of blue smoke, James Bond style
                -I recently put on a rebuilt, uncracked but used
                 cylinder head put on (did not solve solve problem)
                -smog equipment all intact
        -much of interior needs replacement
                -top of dash is cracked
                -seats are torn
                -missing pieces of carpet
        -no convertible top, although the top's frame is in good cond.
        -new exhaust system
        -suspension and shocks are okay
        -mostly original parts

Whaddya think?  Is $1000 reasonable?  How about (dare I ask) $1500?
It's kinda a sad story...years ago, as a teenager back in high school
I swore we were married for life, and, even though I have spent
far more hours working on it than driving it, I never lost my passion
for British roadsters.  And it's been a great adventure.  But now I must
face the fact that it is near impossible to restore a car on a bicycle
owner's budget, and perhaps it's best to get on with my life without
Migbee.

Sigh...all comments are welcome

-Felix