Re: Drum brake modifications

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jey@frame.com
Subject: Re: Drum brake modifications
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 22:43:07 -0800
Jeff Young <jey@frame.com> wrote:

> I've got a '65 Ginetta G4
>
> Mine's got the Spridget axle, brake backing plates, and brake drum.
> All the internal brake bits are Spitfire.
>
>  - the front suspension and brakes are Spitfire, and they wanted
>    everything consistent?

I think that's the answer. To have the same bolt pattern fore and aft.

My Lotus Seven has the Triumph front suspension and a Triumph/Standard 10
rear axle. When Lotus no longer was able to get the Triumph/Standard axles,
they used a rear axle from a Ford Escort. The Ford brake drums used a
different bolt pattern, so you either have to have two sets of wheels with
different bolt patterns, or you have to re-drill the drums or discs to get
the same bolt pattern on all four wheels. It's easier to replace the brake
parts on the rear axle with all Triumph parts and use the same bolt pattern
all around than it is to have to re-drill a new set of brake drums when you
have to replace a worn out set.

I could be wrong, of course. It has happened once or twice before.

 --  Flemming Larsen                           Send money to:
 1964 Lotus Seven, SB1825                      flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu

                    *** Spelling checked by Lucas ***