Re: Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jag XKE: Should I buy it, walk away, or run away?
From: meins@ll.mit.edu (Chuck Meins)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 09:19:32 -0500
Hi Daniel,

_If_ you gotten an honest appraisal of the car (minor rust, no accidents,
top-end rebuilt, clutch and brake work, original tools?!), then it's a little
on the high side but not too bad of a deal.  The 2+2's run a lot cheaper than
the roadsters and the coupes.

I've got an early '67 2+2 Series 1 1/2 -  it's the 42nd LHD without the
headlamp covers, everything else is the same as a Series 1.  It had 49K miles
when I bought it 9 years ago and it's given me reliable service.  I use it for
commuting in fair weather in Massachusetts.  I imagine that North Carolina
would be more accommodating.  The 4.2L is reasonably easy to work on and the
parts are cheaper than those for my Honda Accord, although the Jag does seem to
need them more often.

It's a real kick to drive and lovely to behold, but you should only get a
British car if you're looking for a hobby.  But then, if you have a Healey, you
know all about that already.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Chuck Meins, Jr.
                                        meins@ll.mit.edu