Persistent Oil Leak - TR6 Oiling Kit

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Persistent Oil Leak - TR6 Oiling Kit
From: ewcorco@erenj.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 13:34:57 -0500
        I'm encountering what should be a simple problem to solve on my '71
TR6 but am not having any luck.  I purchased an oiling kit from TRF which I
TRIED to install over the past couple weekends but I cannot get it to seat
without leaking.
        Basically, the kit consists of a brass "T" fitting (which sits in
between the block and the oil pressure sender unit) and a braided stainless
steel hose which takes oil from there up to the back of the cylinder head
where it connects with a 'banjo-type' fitting (hollow loop held against the
engine with a hollow nut that screws into a tapped port; two copper washers
also used).  This is where the fun begins.
        Twice now I've attempted to attach the banjo fitting, carefully
following TRF's advice not to overtighten the nut.  What happens is, when
hand tightened, the fitting obviously leaks.  As you slowly (and
incrementally) tighten it, the leak slows to **ALMOST** nothing; you next
BREATHE on the wrench to stop the last of the leak whereupon you crush the
copper washers and get a major leak which isn't reversible.  Next set of
washers, (thanks to TRF's patience with me) same thing happens.  With the
third set of washers, I tried adding O-rings with the washers in various
combinations, tried JUST the O-rings, etc., with the same results.
        The folks at TRF have sold many of these units and not had this
problem so I know I'm doing something wrong.  I've even tried contacting
two local machine shops to get a something machined to replace this weak
banjo fitting (there's got to be something a little bit more reliable) but
neither of the shops could match the two threads????
        What next - I could eat the $$s and just go back to the old
configuration or try a different machine shop.  Any ideas?  Please respond
directly so as not to bomb the list with a problem that may have been
discussed previously.
        Thanks in advance for ANY assistance.  Maybe the folks in Armagh
know that I'm a 49ers fan........

                                        Ned Corcoran
                                        ewcorco@erenj.com