taxes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: taxes
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 06:51:23 EST
Duncan Bryan sez:
>is an annual payment to even own the car.

This is not so unusual on this side of the pond.  Here they
call it a "personal property tax" usually.  Both Missouri
(where I've lived recently) and Virginia (where I presently
reside) have such taxes.  In fairness, I should say that auto
license fees have been much lower than in states that don't
have such personal property taxes.  In other words, as I see it
you either pay the fee with one check at the DMV, or with two
checks - one at the DMV and one at the county tax collector's
office...

John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU