Re: TR 2000 sedan

To: dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com (Dick Nyquist)
Subject: Re: TR 2000 sedan
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 14:29:27 MST

> As I said mine is a 1966. The engine in mine looks very much like a GT6
>engine.
> However carefull comparison shows lots of significant differances. The first
> GT6s were 1967. Maybe a 1967 2000 would have the same engine as a gt6, I
>don't
> know. For comparison the gt6 block (like the tr6) has a cast boss on either
> side of the crankcase which can be used to attach a motor mount. Look at the
> '67 2000 block, the motor mounts are probably on the front plate like a Spit
> or a TR4, but if it has the same block as a GT6 it will have a rectangular
> boss  about 5 inches square on either side of the crank case more or less in
> line with cylinder #2.

Dick's description of the mounting differences may have helped me
identify and engine and trany I picked up recently.  The engine is a 6
cyl. like the GT6 but the mounting points are on the front plate not
cast into the block.  The trany looks like a big TR trany but the rear
extension is differnt.  The bell housing on the trany is designed like
the early TR's for the "long nose" TR2-3 starter.  The most interesting
aspect is that the mounting points are designed to slant mount the whole
assembly.  I haven't taken the time yet to clean enough grime off them
to find any numbers yet.  None of the Triumphs I am aware of had a slant
mounted 6.  One person has suggested that it may have been out of an
Amphicar, but I haven't had a chance to check on that yet.

Any thoughts appriciated.

--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley