Re: Bridget wakes up

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Bridget wakes up
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 13:16:45 EST
Ray Gibbons wrote:

>I guess it is conceivable that one terminal is connected to the motor
>housing, but that does not short to chassis ground because the wiper
motor
>is on rubber grommets that isolate it electrically from the foot well,
and
>the wiper mechanism runs through grommets in the firewall....

Well, there are actually three wires to the motor.  A ground "black" wire
is connected to the case itself.  Terminal 1 was a few tenths of an ohm
to ground, Terminal two was 10 - 12 ohms (I forget exactly).  Both wiper
motor examples I have behaved the same.

Oh, the wires would have smoked if I had given them a chance.  I had
learned my lesson by then and disconnected the battery in a hurry at the
first sign of something amis.  You are almost certainly ok in Kermit.  I
had never considered getting a repro owners manual with authentic
mistakes in it.  Silly me...

>The trim rails are supposed to be a satin finish anodyzed aluminum, I
>believe.  My best ones had some significant scars, and I was not very
>interested in trying to find someone in northern Vt to re-anodize the
>rails.  So I sanded off the anodized finish with fine sandpaper, and
>buffed them to a high gloss.  Not original, but it looks fine.  The
>downside is that the cockpit trim turns the cloth black when I polish
the
>car.  I can live with that, though.  If preparing for concours, this
>isn't the way to go.  Get the sprite concours notes from the AHCA.

My trim rails are also too beaten up to leave alone.  I'll buff them up
too, I guess.  I expect my car to be nice, but I know that my work is not
concours.  I gave up on that the first time I put in a repro rubber plug
that didn't have the proper markings on the back...  Those concours notes
would be interesting though.

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591