Re: British Cars Digest #1505 Sat Dec 31 01:15:00 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1505 Sat Dec 31 01:15:00 MST 1994
From: EMECH@delphi.com
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 08:45:10 -0500 (EST)
RE; TR6 Transmission
Having used up a few myself I have found a common problem to be
the bronze bushing inside 2nd and 3rd gear.  The bushing
seizing to the mainshaft in one instance and excess clearance
in another.  The last horror was a thrust washer waering away
to allow 3rd gears endfloat to grow to 90 thou.  Needless to
say it flew out of 3rd at any application of power.  Of course
this had to occur on a 2550 mi trip to the VTR.  The circlip
trick is done here with 2 screwdrivers and a big pair of ring
pliers.  Wear eye protection, about half of the rings snap when
overstressed.  I like the dremel idea , probably use it next
time.
Jack Emery