SU carb problem (bug or feature?)

Subject: SU carb problem (bug or feature?)
From: Darrell Walker <walker@epcot.rose.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 12:11:53 PST
I have a small problem with the SU carbs (HS6) on my '66 TR4A.  If
the car sits longer than 24 to 48 hours, it takes a lot of cranking
to start.  The problem appears to be that the gas evaporates from the
float bowls (thru the vent hole, I assume).  If I pump the lever on
the mechanical fuel pump before starting it, it starts right away.

It has always acted this way, tho it is more annoying now that I usually
go 3-4 days between driving it.  Is this normal behaviour for SU carbs?
Anyone else have this "problem"?

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@core.rose.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: Darrell Walker/HP5200/UM