Re: British Cars Digest #1492 Mon Dec 19 01:15:01 MST 1994

To: JSug@aol.com
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1492 Mon Dec 19 01:15:01 MST 1994
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 09:02:30 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 28 Dec 1994 JSug@aol.com wrote:

> Re:PWiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul Wiegman)
> >Does anyone have any experience spraying rust retardant?
>
> I have been using Waxoyl on my MGB. I use the injector wand for the inner
> spaces (inside sills, etc.), and wither spray or brush the underside areas.
> Although this is not as thick as the hard, black stuff, I can keep better
> track of it, and moisture is unlikely to get under it without being seen.
>
> Anyone have any other suggestions?

I tried the application kit that came with the waxoyl, and felt a lot of
metal would be missed inside of box sections.  Unless the wand actually is
pointed at an area, it won't be coated.  Also, I thought an unacceptable
amount just dribbled out of the drain holes.

My answer was to purchase an undercoating system from Eastwood for about
$50.  This hooks to the compressor which supplies enough pressure to turn
warm waxoyl into a mist.  It's gratifying to use, because you poke the
wand into one end of the rocker panel, pull the trigger, and watch waxoyl
mist escape from the other end.  I'm convinced this provides much more
complete coverage by less material than the hand-pumped waxoyl bottles.  I
used it on my lbc and my everyday cars, which as it happens were waxoyled
by the dealer.  I felt it was $50 well spent.

Part numbers were 2725 undercoating system @ $43.95 and 2724 plastic
bottle @ 1.95.  Also useful is a pack of 25 plastic plugs #2726 @ 2.95.
Eastwood is at 1-800-345-1178.  I have no profit-making connection with
Eastwood; I wish I did.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910