Re: orbital polishers

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (will zehring)
Subject: Re: orbital polishers
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 16:05:32 EST
Will Zehring asks about orbital polishers:

> Not a heck alot of brit-car essence in this message but I'm wondering if
> anyone out there uses an orbital polisher on your car.  Any particular brand
> that has the best reputation?  Any warnings/comments on the use of these
> things?  What polishers/cleaners do you use with the thing?  Some friends
> swear by them but I'm worried that if you don't use the thing just so it
> will cause some damage.

I've had two.  I had the cheapie Black & Decker which worked great but
died after four buff jobs (about a week after it was out of warranty).
I just got the Porter Cable buffer which uses velcro pads and am still
getting to know it.  Tried it out first on my truck and got some mild
swirl marks, but that was near the end of the day and my pad was getting
clogged with wax.  I'm waiting for my wife to go visit relatives so I can
toss the pad in the washing machine and see how well it cleans up.

Key things:  buff with the weight of the buffer only.  You don't need to
push down on it.  Mine is adjustable from 1500-2?00 rpm, and some detailers
I've talked to say that 1500 is better.  You can't put paint back, so use
the lightest duty compound which will get the job done.

I like Meguiars products but have had good luck with others.  There was
a recent thread on wreck.whatever in which some other good buffers were
recommended by detailers (see below).

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget, '94 Porter-Cable)

Usenet excerpt on buffers:

> I am in Montreal, and can get you the entire line of Meguiars
> products. I've tried their glazes and polishes, and to date they're
> the best I've used (I do detailing here in Mtl).

I agree completely with the above.

> Tech Tip: Best orbital buffer commercially available is the Sears
> Craftsman 11" Buffer\Polisher #91099. It's made by Waxcoa, a very
> reputable name in the car care business. No buffer marks!

I do not, however, agree with the buffer part.  The best buffer on the
market at the moment is the Cyclo dual-head orbital polisher, made in
Denver.  This is THE machine used by airlines to polish aircraft skin and
is also the tool of choice for many who detail cars, too.  Sears
polishers are not bad; I had one that I used for about 8 years
and swore by it until I got the Cyclo (800-525-0701 or 303-744-8043).