Re: Elva Courier / Lotus Connection

To: Mark.D.JOERGER@state.or.us, phile@swamp.stpaul.gov
Subject: Re: Elva Courier / Lotus Connection
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 12:15:03 +0000
 Phil Ethier writes:

> Mark Joerger writes >
>
> > My library is a little light on Elva Couriers.  I've got a picture and
> > a one paragraph description that doesn't talk about the chassis much.
> > Is the chassis the same as another production Lotus, or did Lotus build
> > the chassis special for Elva?

> If any part of an Elva Courier is actually Lotus, I would be quite
> surprised.  The closest I would expect is that they may have used some of the
> same Alford and Alder front suspension parts, and I don't even know if
> that is true.  Where did you get the idea the chassis was Lotus, Dave?

There _was_ one -- while developing the Elan running gear, Lotus put
an Elva body onto the test chassis & engine.  There are quite a few
pictures of it in Robin Read's book.  Apart from that, as someone
pointed out, Elva and Lotus were rivals for the sports racing car
market, and Frank Nichols (sp?) of Elva would never admit that
Chapman's suspension was better than his.  Elva, like many other
people, were very happy to use Twinks later though.

*Everyone* used the Alford & Alder front suspension bits, even on F1
cars (think about that load!) -- except Morgan of course ;-)  Oh all
right, Clan Crusader didn't, but that's later.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Causer                 Setanta Technology       mike@setanta.demon.co.uk
Setanta's Impress Newsletter    someday at    http://www.demon.co.uk/setanta/