Re: What is "original"?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is "original"?
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 17:59:45 -0500
IMHO...

Ideally, "all original" would mean that your car is exactly as delivered when
new. Essentially, you've never driven it and are the original owner. The
definition is usually extended to mean "as original," meaning you've replaced
wearing mechanical bits, but with parts which are an exact replica of what
was originally there.

Stretching the envelope a bit, we come to cars which have been restored, but
are faithful replicas of the car as it would have been delivered. The
upholstery may be new, but it's the same material and pattern as it was new.
On an car which was in poor shape, it could be that less than half of the
car, by weight, is "original."

Some folks use the term to include cars which have no visible changes, but
which may be heavily modified in the driveline, such as use of higher
compression pistons, lumpier cams, closer ratio gears. Some folks also
include cars which have new lumps under the hood of the same type that was
there before (gold seal engines, etc.).

Putrid tuck 'n' roll interiors, fetid American V8 swaps, silly mag wheels,
etc., are right out. Not that I have strong feelings on the subject. 8^)