It's all in a definition

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: It's all in a definition
From: "Mark N. Pacey" <M.N.Pacey@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 16:46:09 +0000
I don't know if everyone else has been in on this, if so then I
apologise now for mentioning it again.

I have had an interesting altercation with someone as to how to
describe the body style of several cars.  How do people refer to
their own cars?  In particular, is an MGB-GT a hatchback or was the
Renault 16 really the first?

I suggest that MGB-GTs and the like are coupes, a hatchback being a
sort of saloon/estate cross.  I would disagree with the person who
suggested that 'econo-box' is the term for these, this implies a car
without character, used solely as transport, whereas I know from long
weekends spent crawling on the drive or roadside that my Maxi has
plenty of character and not a little of a temperament!

Mark
character