Re: Weber intakes

To: scottv@rpi.edu
Subject: Re: Weber intakes
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 01:00:21 -0500 (EST)

>       I recall speaking to a local racer who recommended for me ('76 TR7)
> the following list of performance parts, by brand:
>
> Dual Webers (big suprise)
> Piper cam
> Canon intake
> Janspeed header & exhaust

I can easily believe that. If I was tweaking a TR7, that would be my list
with the addition of more compression. To be specific, I would call for a
pair of 45DCOE Webers, which are sidedraft. The thread, though only vaguely
stated, has been about the aftermarket Weber downdraft manifolds. It was
stated in a previous post that sidedrafts are a whole different can of worms.
<big grin>

>       I personally tend to believe him because of his credentials: former
> SAAB mechanic (BTW, the TR7 engine is not the same at the SAAB engine, much
> weaker),

Depends on which variation of the SAAB engine you consider. The main
advantage they've all had, all the way back to the 99, is SAAB designed
their own cylinder head, and positioned all ten head bolts normal to the
block. The latest editions have little in common.

>       As for whether the Canon intake is available for cars other that the
> TR7, I obviously don't know, but I would expect so.

 The best running DGV'd MGB I've seen has a Cannon manifold. But I wouldn't
point to the manifold as the reason. The car has full smog gear, including
a cat, and I was told it spent considerable time on a chassis dyno to get
tweaked enough to pass a smog test. (car is an out-of-state transplant)

   Randy