Re: Clearcoat or not?

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Subject: Re: Clearcoat or not?
From: Steve Adderson <S.G.Adderson@ukc.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 14:22:00 +0000
Chip old wrote:

>Back before the days of acrylic lacquer, the paint called cellulose
>enamel in the UK was the paint we Yanks know as nitrocellulose lacquer.
>I wonder if Steve has really resprayed with nitrocellulose lacquer, or
>with the (now) more common acrylic lacquer?  If the latter, perhaps the
>British use the term "cellulose enamel" for both types.

I've tended to get my knowledge and experience of car type things from,
how shall I say, older people. Maybe the cellulose enamel I refer to is
in fact a more modern version.  It is sold as just 'cellulose'. I've
seen ads for synthetic paint which is probably the acrylic.

Also, in my area at least, 'lacquer' is a term used for 'clear lacquer'
which I guess non UK people call clear coat.

May be I'll have a look at my US/English conversion charts to see if it's
got anything in it to do with paint.

As an aside, it's been quite mild over here in the south of England for
December. The other week I was spraying with the garage door open but with
the car inside, at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, in the *dark*.  I managed
to get a reasonable finish though, albeit with a few runs (I was using a
slow thinner) and some blooming at the back.  The weather's getting worse
now, cold, wet & windy (no snow though) so it's time to get the heaters out
when I do the doors & bootlid. I don't think the little woman will let me
do it in the lounge (paint the car that is) so I can watch telly at the same
time.

Steve