Re: Webers

To: dalfano@redjac.dnet.ge.com
Subject: Re: Webers
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 22:52:51 -0500 (EST)

> Randy,
>
> You mentioned quite a few interesting points about both Holleys and Webers. I
> think you are saying the Weber down draft setup for a TR6 is no good.  Is that
> correct?  You mentioned Holley makes a similar carb to the DGV.  What is a
> Weber DGV, is that the down draft which is sold in the conversion kits?  Do
>you
> know the part number of the Holley version of the DGV?

The Weber downdraft conversions typically sold in the U.S. (sidedrafts are
a different can of worms) suffer from two problems. First is the carb itself.
It comes out of the box jetted for whatever OEM app it was designed for. This
is correctable with one exception. Every DGV I've seen has been of the fixed
choke variety, and they're huge. From what I've seen, the carb was have been
made for a fairly large engine. I've been told it's off a Ford 2.8L V-6, but
have never been able to trace out the numbers.
 The more important problem, especially with that damn CD175 adapter, is
the manifolds. The late John Passini, in his series of books on Webers,
preached about the importance of a well designed manifold. Distribution,
runner area and length, heating, etc. These things with multiple right
angles and a straight up run do not cut it.
 So, yeah. I'm not impressed in the slightest with theTR6 DGV setup, and it
won't matter what carb is on it.

 This Holley carb I refered to is the one (series, actually) TeriAnn mentioned.
It was designed and built originally in the 70's under license from Weber to
fill a major gap in their product line when Detroit desided to build small
cars. They flipped a few things around, but it is basicly the same as the
Weber; jets and whatnot interchange.
 SCCA and others sanction classes that use a "spec" Holley carb. I *assumed*
this was the same carb and it therefore is still in production. I'll try to
dig up the part # for this carb  (unless someone has the ITC rules handy?).
It can't be but sooo big... ITC is almost stock 1600cc.

> Don...

   Randy